Why and How to Think and Operate Like a Media Company
When you think and operate like a media company it allows you to interact with your target market on their terms in turn allowing you to sell more effectively and create deeper connections within your target consumer base.
In the podcast we covered this concept in some detail. Listen below or read further for a quick overview:
Listen to Part 1
Listen to Part 2
Why Is it Effective?
- When you or your organization operate from the perspective of the media mind you position yourself for the best success in today’s modern version of mass communication.
- It also solidifies for you or your organization to take operating in today’s media connected world communication is on a path of convergence. In the year 2010 new media and old media market capitalization have finally become neck and neck. This convergence is a thinning line between the old walled gardens of entertainment sectors and technology. The rise of user generated content.
For instance, let’s say that drinking a glass of milk a day was in the best interest for your health. If you receive an email from the Milk Farmers of America (do they exist) that tells you milk is good for you will you believe it? Most of us will not. We know they are biased. We know they have a vested interest.
Now what if you turn on your favorite 24 hour cable news station and you happen to catch a story that shares with you the health benefits of milk. Which one do you believe? Which one persuades you? Without going to deep into how the actual news story was put together our society is conditioned to believe the news organization. You want to capture this power. You want to create your content and outreach from this perspective.
Do this will ultimately allow your content and your message to be reached to the target audience.
What Does a Modern Media Company Do?
- They exist to produce a profit (just as you)
- They monetize content through advertising or subscriptions (or combination of both)
- They broadcast their content
- They have a platform(s)
- They tell stories
- through pictures, text, audio, and video
- Operate from position of trust
- They consistently create content
- They keep a schedule because familiarity breeds trust
- You know what to expect
- They engage their audience
- They are up to date with trends
How to transform into a media organization
- Figure out your companies angle
- Find the authentic way to stand from a position of trust
- Inform, educate, and entertain, packaging
- Figure out your companies voice
- Create a content capture process
- Create a content schedule
- Create your broadcast relationships, platform, channels
- Engage your audience
- Stay relevant and up to date
Please note that the text portion of this post is rather shallow but the audio portion goes into detail and gives some great examples.