Rainfall is expected across most of SA but Cape Town and Nelson Mandela Bay remain dry. Sibanye Beatrix mine where almost 1 000 miners were trapped inside.
(Litaletu Zidepa, News24, file) Multimedia Â Â· Â User Galleries Â Â· Â News in Pictures
Send us your pictures Â Â·Â Send us your stories Johannesburg – Rescue operations have been suspended after two trapped miners were confirmed dead at the Kloof Ikamva shaft of Sibanye-Stillwater’s mine in Gauteng, after a fall of ground early on Wednesday morning. Sibanye Gold spokesperson James Wellsted confirmed the deaths to News24.
“Our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of these miners. It is a very sad day for us,” Wellsted said.
Wellsted said all operations at the area where the two bodies were recovered were suspended. READ: All 955 trapped Sibanye Gold miners resurface Earlier, Wellsted told News24 there had been a seismic incident in the morning.
Last week, 955 miners were trapped at a Sibanye-Stillwater Gold mine in Welkom following an electric cable outage during a storm. The two 132kV lines supplying mines in the Welkom area collapsed due to a severe storm, leaving mines in the area without electricity supply. Read more from news24.com…
thumbnail courtesy of news24.com